Saturday, June 8, 2013

Sunset Stroke Rate

My photography class started this Monday so I've been spending a lot of time trying out new settings on my camera and playing with features of the pictures on the computer. It's been great so far and I'm learning a lot, especially what not to do with Photoshop. We've had a couple smaller assignments to get us acquainted with our cameras, but at this point pretty much anywhere I go there is something worthy of being photographed! My class is 3 and a half hours long, but we usually spend the first part in the computer lab learning about some photo editing programs and the second half somewhere around Florence to practice our new skills! These two pictures are from the Piazza della Repubblica in Florence which has a really open area with a carousel and sometimes a street band. I caught this couple sitting peacefully together, watching all the kids ride the carousel. I especially like it because not only does it remind me of my parents (in 20 years or so of course - sorry Mom & Dad) but it's such a sweet moment in the midst of the typically busy streets of Florence.




"Way Enough!"
On Wednesday night our program organized a boat tour of the Arno River! We ended up on the last shift going out which meant for a shorter tour, but it was okay because we got to hang out on the banks of the Florence Rowing Club and watch the sunset through the Ponte Vecchio! It was so beautiful to see from right down by the river. We also got to see a crew boat go by, which of course reminded me of the glory days of Mather Crew crossing under the Western Ave. Bridge. The Florentines row a little differently, though, as they have their coxswain sit in a chair at the front of the boat, allowing him to completely stand up as needed. Their "tanks" (pictured below) probably make getting up at the crack of dawn a lot easier! I couldn't stop taking pictures of the bridge and sunset, but here are my favorites:











I can't believe how quickly the first week has gone by! I'm really loving the photography class and I look forward to exploring different parts of the city each day. Despite the influx of tourists, the city prioritizes the preservation of its historical elements which we are beginning to understand in much greater detail. My friend and I are hoping to get back to the bridge for another sunrise or sunset photoshoot, so stay tuned for those. Coming soon is a recap of my horseback riding & wine tasting adventure through the Tuscan countryside along with my hike to the top of the Piazzale Michelangelo for a panoramic view of Florence!


Ciao!

Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment